Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sundogs, eclipses, and (almost) -50C

I think this may be the best picture I've ever taken of sundogs. Look to the left and right of the Sun, and you'll see faint rainbow glows - sundogs. They're caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere. I got out of the lab yesterday for a longer walk down my favourite ridge. This picture is taken looking down into my favourite valley, which I have yet to capture on film in a way that accurately portrays its fabulousness. That's a problem I always have up here - the camera just can't capture the variations in the colours (and the white) that make this the prettiest place I have ever been. It's going to be hard to leave, not knowing when I'll be back.

There was a lunar eclipse last night, that we were able to catch the end of (after the Moon came out from behind Blacktop Mountain). There was about a dozen people trying to take pictures of it out the window. Zoom lenses were the most successful. My trying to use binoculars to get a better zoom ultimately resulted in this photo. I'll try to steal a better picture off someone else. It was still really cool to see the eclipse.

It got down to -49.7C last night - luckily while I was warm in my bed. -45C is normally the worst we experience in a day, and when it gets any colder than that (including -46C) it feels so much colder.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home